Wednesday, April 3, 2013

cheap wine and sunshine

As if being a teenager isn't enough of an emotional roller coaster, going on an exchange is having one's heartstrings plucked like a beginner's violin lesson, then tossed into a car with a drunk driver on a lonely autobahn.

I've recycled this topic over and over and you're probably sick of reading metaphors about the mean ol' Time going too fast, but it's all I ever think about anymore. One of the biggest lessons I learned this year is to be grateful for every day, every rain drop, every glass of beer. Joni Mitchell (and the Counting Crows featuring Vanessa Carlton) warn us that we don't know we've got 'til it's gone - it doesn't even matter that she was referring to some trees in the song because we should genießen whatever it is we have while we still have it.

German weather is a great inspiration to follow this advice, especially the weather we've been dealing with this year. For some reason the winter decided to stick around a little while longer: we had to celebrate Easter in the snow and even now we're running around in down jackets and 4 pairs of socks. Now I won't be a hypocrite and outright playa hate on the cold. I'd only seen snow about 2 times before coming to Germany and experiencing real cold (under 40 degrees) for the first time was pretty great, but one gets easily sick of slipping on ice and falling on their ass every time they walk to the bus. Sometime in March and in the last couple of days, however, the sun showed us some sympathy and made appearances. We all treated the sunshine like the precious gift it is and crawled out of hibernation for a few hours.

In March the temperature even rose up to a whopping 12 degrees Celsius (about 54 Fahrenheit) and my family and I rushed jacketless out to the garten, letting the Spring-like weather tease us. Unfortunately later that week came snow, and we were once again shut indoors. But alas, this week has been quite gracious and Hamburg enjoyed some really nice weather. It's still pretty windy, but at least the sky has stopped spewing out frozen chunks.

We had no school on Monday so a couple of exchange students and I hung out on the Alster with some 4 wine. It was lovely just using the beautiful day as an excuse to be outside. Coming from California and before that the Philippines, I never realized how precious the sunshine is. There's something about blue sky after a long winter that just makes one want to prance around town and smell flowers and drink 4 wine with friends, and it's something beautiful.

As much as I'm looking forward to Spring (which technically started 2 weeks ago), I feel like the warmer the weather gets, the closer I am to going home. I've been fighting myself to stop but a subconscious countdown has begun in my head and refuses to be shaken out. I have 78 days left here. 78 days is definitely not a lot and no amount of weeping will make it last longer than it naturally does, so I'm going to make the best of the tragedy that is Time and enjoy what I have before the Big Yellow Taxi comes and whips it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment